Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pumpkin Smoothie:

*Since I completely forgot to post yesterday-  I will make this yesterday's, and later I will post today's!

Today's theme is pumpkin because 1) pumpkin is awesome and 2) it is crazy good for you.

according to Livestrong.com,


"Canned Pumpkin Nutrition


A 1/2-cup serving of canned pumpkin provides 40 calories, 4 g of fiber and 1 g of protein. It doesn't contain fat, and only has 5 mg of sodium. It is filled with vitamins and minerals, including 540 percent of the daily value for vitamin A, 10 percent of the daily value for vitamin C and iron, 8 percent of the daily value for magnesium, 4 percent of the daily value for phosphorus, folate, vitamin B6, riboflavin and calcium and 2 percent of the daily value for thiamine and niacin. Canned pumpkin also provides a good amount of potassium."


Fresh pumpkin is the best. But, when it comes to time and season, pure canned pumpkin (not canned pumpkin pie) is a pretty good alternative.



Since I have a fruit/veggie smoothie almost everyday, I thought adding pumpkin might be an interesting twist for today!


The ingredients I used :

(give or take- I don't always measure)



Pure pumpkin puree- 1 cup
Plain non-fat yogurt- 1 cup
Banana- 1-2 very ripe
Ice cubes- 3-4 cubes
Organic apple juice- 1/2 cup
Flaxseed- 1/4 cup
Cinnamon- 1 teaspoon
Ground ginger- 1 teaspoon
Nutmeg- 1 teaspoon
Agave/Honey- to taste


Just blend on high until creamy and fluffy! It turned out delicious and just sweet enough to curb my cravings for sugar! It also makes plenty enough for two tall glasses. So store it in the refrigerator for later, or share it with a friend.


Here is my finished brunch for the day:



Pumpkin smoothie and an egg/spinach/swiss cheese/toast sandwich! 

Not only is it delicious and healthy,  it isn't the pop-tart or sugary cereal I normally reach for!

Until later,
-k


No comments:

Post a Comment